Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Profound transformation

"My experience working with Kobus has been profound.

''I approached him to help me with what seemed like a block in relation to living a creative life.
All efforts to create art works left me feeling dissatisfied and unhappy. As a result my life took on a pattern of abandoning works and only returning to them after a long period of time. I wished to understand why I was doing this in the hope that I could alter this all too familiar cycle of frustration and hopelessness. My goal was to live a healthier, happier and sustained creative life.

''No matter what problem I presented to him he always reverted with an authentic form of assistance. His approach is versatile and all encompassing with its foundation in curiosity, inner awareness and observation.

''He gave me immeasurable doses of support, encouragement and compassion throughout our exchanges and along with his gentle probing he soon became the parent, teacher and friend I always wished I had had.

''He also showed me ways of taking “time out” from unsettling emotions or experiences so that their power over my work was defused.

''A considerable part of his work is in the form of “tools”. These are subtle yet potent methods of dealing with a creative problem or situation at hand. They have gently re shaped my thinking not only about my work, but also about me and the world around me.

''One of the many values of Kobus’ teaching is that the individual is never compromised. He never imposed or forced anything, choosing rather to offer the understanding, knowledge and space for me to come up with my own solutions. This then leads to what he calls “self-coaching”.

''Before long the voice became my own and I became my own best friend - this seems to be non-negotiable in living a fulfilling creative life.

''Working with Kobus has transformed me and left me with a new outlook on art, life and expectation. I feel excited that I am now in a position more able to connect with the potential I always knew I had but found so elusive in the past.''

- Jane, visual artist, Johannesburg

No comments: